Monday, July 9, 2012

Ticket to Ride: A Geek's Experience

Palabasan, 2011
I remember trying out Ticket to Ride for the first time in my life. It was the summer of 2011 and I brought home a copy of Ticket to Ride: Europe that I borrowed from a friend and owner of Gaming Library, the first and only online board gaming retailer here in the Philippines. I was starting out a gaming group and my food business, Heart, Meat, & Soul Foods, from my house in Katipunan and it was one of the games that I liked in an instant.
Carag, 2011
I bought it the week after and it was the third board game title that I bought and the first game that got me to fall in love with euro, economic, and train games. I think this can be considered as the game that got me hooked into real board gaming and not just all the card games that I played back then.

I had a knack for it. You just had to build train routes from city to city and hit all your destinations to gain victory points. The most victory points win the game.

It actually took a year before anybody was able to beat me on the actual board game. Although the game count would be at least just a little above twenty games, I still think of it as a mini achievement.

Just like Sheldon Cooper, I fell in love with trains after that. I went on playing and buying a game called 1830: Railways & Robber Barons, an economic game based on the train companies in the US back in the 1830s, which is considered as the Golden Age of trains.

I wanted to play it more and the online one was just too pricey. But then, the iPad came into our lives back a month or so and, thanks to a friend, I was able to play it more: solo with AIs, online, and so on. And, my girlfriend, The Princess, and most of her family now plays the game in the iPad as well!
Ticket to Ride: Europe Tournament Practice
Fabie, 2011
A month back, the owner of Gaming Library and organizer of the All Aboard event every month in Galleria decided to create a Ticket to Ride Tournament for the Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe maps this coming July 21, 2012.
Train Routes all done!
Fabie, 2011
Because of this, we have been practicing for the past few weeks in the iPad, online, and in the actual board game as much as we can. I still have a lot more to learn but it really is a fun and simple game.
Ticket to Ride Tournament - July 21, 2012, 1PM onwards
For all the guys who will be competing in the tournament, see you there!

In any case people are wondering, what was the point? I guess I just want to share an experience instead of actually giving a review. Why boardgames? It is because time flies by when you play it and you actually do not realize that you really are bonding and socializing with the people in the table when you play board games.

If you want to try the game out, these are the different base games and expansions.

Legend
* = Recommended
^ = iOS, PC, Mac, Online versions available
' = No actual board game
Ticket to Ride *^
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 Expansion *^
Ticket to Ride: Europe *^
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912 Expansion
Ticket to Ride: Märklin Edition
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Ticket to Ride: Switzerland *^'
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 - Team Asia & Legendary Asia
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 - India & Switzerland
Ticket to Ride: Mystery Train Expansion
Ticket to Ride: Alvin & Dexter *
Ticket to Ride: The Dice Expansion
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game

No comments:

Post a Comment