Friday, September 7, 2012

The Geek Plays: Cut the Rope

Holding up my output for thesis!
This part is all about the games that I play, which are mostly iOS games. I already have materials for this but it took some time before I got to post because of my impending thesis defense that finished just this Wednesday. Other than the post-thesis requirements and for all intents and purposes, I am officially graduating! Finally!

Om Nom, that cute, little creature
Cut the Rope is one of the cutest games in the iOS that was developed by ZeptoLab. This game is highly addictive because it gradually tests your logic, physics, and motor skills especially as the levels progress and the objectives get harder. It is plain and simple actually.

A pile of candy
A box was delivered to the door of a scientist. The box only had a note saying, "Feed with Candy". Inside the box, a cute, little creature named Om Nom appeared and all you have to do in the game is really feed it candy.

Get that star!

Feed it! (in the Ghost Box)
Three stars per level (4 if you have superpowers; optional)

Like in most games, there are three stars per level (4 if you use superpowers) and the objective is to swing, move, float (and a lot more) a candy through all these stars and finally feed it to Om Nom. Time is not much of a factor except in some cases where the stars have a limited amount of time before they disappear. Ironically, timing is so important in the game because some of the puzzles need the correct timing to cut the rope, pop the bubble, or do something or else.

The game consists of different boxes each having its own quirk or mechanic. Each box has 25 levels and as of the moment, there are 12 boxes in the original Cut the Rope, 6 boxes in the Cut the Rope: Experiments, and a special box for the Christmas edition.

Pop that bubble! (in the DJ Box

The DJ Box, uses DJ discs that you can spin around to help you get around the level. The Ghost Box is actually the latest box that was included in the Cut the Rope game. It features the ghost that can change from bubbles, to springboards, etc. to help you finish the level.


DJ Box completed

Before Ghost Box came out!
I remember downloading the game before and it took me a day to finish Cut the Rope and another day to finish the Christmas edition and Cut the Rope: Experiments.

Cut the Rope: Experiments 
Finished Cut the Rope!
Finished Cut the Rope: Experiments!
Sad part is that my data got lost sometime last month and I did it all again. But, I haven't had the chance to try the superpowers because you have to spend (again) for it.

The Ghost Box completed!
The Ghost Box was released last month and it took me less than an hour to finish the whole box. I really am so addicted to the game.

But, you might ask, "What is the difference between the two games?" Well, the original Cut the Rope is more of just everyday objects or natural things (meaning nothing science-y) like, DJ discs, ghosts, and the like. Cut the Rope: Experiments deal with objects that are somewhat to hard science-y like rockets, robotic hands, plungers, and more. They add their own twists to the game. Not to mention superpowers that will help you out and offer a fourth star in each level. Replayability though for a perfectionist like me is that I only need to finish the game with three stars for each level and that would be it. I don't really play more than that. But of course when there is a hard level and I have to replay a round over and over again, then I do so. I usually get a box done within an hour.

Thank you for reading!
Overall, the game is not a hardcore gamer game and it is most certainly not the game that I usually play but physics and cuteness and puzzles intrigue me to some point and it is considered as one of my top action puzzle games in the iOS. The gameplay is smooth and is considerably one of the best 2D physics games. The theme suits kids to kids at heart very well because of the cuteness of the graphics. Replayability can be good for people who can put it down but, since I don't put it down until I finish it, I don't actually replay the game anymore. But other than that, the game is really just cute to play and hard to put down.

Cut the Rope and Cut the Rope: Experiments is available at the iTunes Store. The game is not universal so be sure to grab HD ($1.99) for iPad and SD ($0.99) for the iPhone/iPod Touch. The superpowers are bought separately as iAPs so give it a try if you like.

Genre: Action Puzzle
Overall Rating: 5/5
Gameplay: 5/5
Theme: 5/5
Graphics: 4/5
Replayability: 3/5

This is my first attempt to review a game and I really like to share experiences instead of actually talking about gameplay so any comments are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment