Monday, September 10, 2012

A Gamer's Rant


So, there are actual people who find Western RPGs (character customizations and all that have mostly the same story with mostly point and click or active combat) better than the JRPGs (storyline based characters with mostly turn based combat). Sad.

Although, I have to admit. JRPGs suck the big one in their latest developments in their games. There's no more towns to go to. There's no more secret worlds or secret things to do. Yes, I am talking to you Square Enix. There's no more 108 characters to recruit. Yes, I am talking to you Konami!

But, I am more into the gameplay and storyline of it all. And when it comes to storyline, nothing beats an old school JRPG like Suikoden or Chrono Trigger.

Graphics-wise though the same line of gaming that Western RPGs have been always there and so graphics and gaming wise, they're almost always consistently developed.

Sadly today, people are going retro on most JRPGs as well that the iOS is actually filled with retro games, which actually is cool. Until, you realize that all of them are retro! No good game that has high quality graphics. Even Chaos Rings for me is like a, "I yield to the developers" kind of game because its not really how JRPGs are done. Where are the towns? Where are the people I can recruit? Where is that obnoxiously hard boss in the middle of the game that will feel so good to kill? Where are those winding maps that are so fun to explore and that's not so linear?

I will understand that new gamers will always fall in love with the Western style of RPGs but for the old gamers, I don't understand. I just hope one day, someone gets to bonk the heads of these JRPG developers and get back to something that was essentially what got us into gaming in the first place and do it on a scale that is worthy of using the graphics processor now and not the one 10 years ago.

Western RPGs, wait, just you wait..

P.S. I have to apologize for the bad syntax. This was just supposed to be a status update rant in Facebook when it escalated to an actual blog post with more than four paragraphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment